If you think that the City of Baltimore or one of its employees injured you or your property, you may send us a claim.
- You must send a written claim to the City Law Department.
- You may hand-deliver the claim or you may send it by certified mail – return receipt requested.
- You cannot send it by regular mail.
- The City Law Department must receive your claim within one year from the date of the incident.
- You may use the claim form prepared by the Law Department. You can get a copy of the claim form by clicking below. You do not have to use this form.
You must include in the claim:
- the date of the injury
- who was involved
- where it occurred and
- a brief explanation
- An investigator from the Central Bureau of Investigation in the Law Department will investigate the claim
- When the investigator completes their investigation, they will advise you of the decision.
The steps listed above are steps you may follow to file a complaint with the Law Department. The Law Department is not giving you legal advice. If you think you need legal advice, you should hire your own attorney.
Sewer Backups: Please note that if you are filing a general liability claim with the Department of Law for a sewage backup, you may also apply for the Department of Public Works’ Expedited Reimbursement Program for Sewage Backups by calling 410-396-3500 or visiting https://publicworks.baltimorecity.gov/sewer-consent-decree/building-backups.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page for forms related to filing a claim. Once complete, mail to:
(Note: Please download form before filling it out or the information you input will not save)