Filing A Claim

If you think that the City of Baltimore or one of its employees injured you or your property, you may send us a claim.

  • You must send a written claim to the City Law Department.
  • You may hand-deliver the claim or you may send it by certified mail – return receipt requested.
  • You cannot send it by regular mail.
  • The City Law Department must receive your claim within one year from the date of the incident.
  • You may use the claim form prepared by the Law Department. You can get a copy of the claim form by clicking below. You do not have to use this form.

You must include in the claim:

  • the date of the injury
  • who was involved
  • where it occurred and
  • a brief explanation
  • An investigator from the Central Bureau of Investigation in the Law Department will investigate the claim
  • When the investigator completes their investigation, they will advise you of the decision.

The steps listed above are steps you may follow to file a complaint with the Law Department. The Law Department is not giving you legal advice. If you think you need legal advice, you should hire your own attorney.

Information on the Department of Public Works’ Expedited Reimbursement Program for Sewage Backups

Sewer Backups:  Please note that if you are filing a general liability claim with the Department of Law for a sewage backup, you may also apply here for the Department of Public Works’ Expedited Reimbursement Program for Sewage Backups or you can call 410-396-3500.

document icon

Scroll down to the bottom of the page for forms related to filing a claim. Once complete, mail to:

Department of Law
100 N. Holliday Street, Suite 101
Baltimore, MD 21202

(Note: Please download the form before filling it out or the information you input will not save)


Related Documents