If you think that the City of Baltimore or one of its employees injured you or your property, you may send us a claim.
- You must send a written claim to the City Law Department.
- You may hand deliver the claim or you may send it by certified mail – return receipt requested.
- You cannot send it by regular mail.
- The City Law Department must receive your claim within 180 days from the date of injuries that occurred prior to October 1, 2015. Claims for injuries after that date must be received by the Law Department within a year of their occurrence.
- You may use the claim form prepared by the Law Department. You can get a copy of the claim form by clicking below. You do not have to use this form.
- You must include in the claim:
- the date of the injury
- who was involved
- where it occurred and
- a brief explanation
- An investigator from the Central Bureau of Investigation in the Law Department will investigate the claim
- When the investigator completes his/her investigation, he/she will advise you of the decision.
The steps listed above are steps you may follow to file a complaint with the Law Department. The Law Department is not giving you legal advice. If you think you need legal advice, you should hire your own attorney.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page for forms related to filling a claim. Once complete, mail to:
(Note: Please download form before filling it out or the information you input will not save)